Date:      Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:22:18 +0200
From:      Hexren <me@hexren.net>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: samhain - starts on boot?

> fadeaway@gmail.com writes:

>> There is a script there but my understanding is that the scripts in
>> /usr/local/etc/rc.d and /etc/rc.d don't automatically start without
>> first being enabled through rc.conf & rc.conf.local? Or did I
>> misunderstand?

asfar as I understand the process: At boot time the scripts in both
rc.d dirs are executed with $1=start. It is then the scripts
responsibility to decide if it starts unconditionally or if it looks
for some variable in /etc/rc.conf to give it a go/no-go decision.
So to answer your question: doing "rc.d/startupscriptname start"
should give you a fairly clear idea of what will happen during boot.

Hexren