Date:      Mon, 26 May 2003 10:06:27 +0200
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        "Eric W.Bates" <ericx@vineyard.net>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A problem with too many network interfaces

Eric W.Bates wrote:
> I'm trying to build a router/filter on FreeBSD 4.8 with 4 real NIC and
> 32 vlan interfaces.
> Starting dhcpd generates an error after 15 interfaces:
> "[interface] not found"
> My C skills are lacking so while I'm grovelling thru dhcpd source to
> find the problem; I was wondering if anyone knows of a kernel limit I
> need to increase?
It has nothing to do with FreeBSD.
Take a look at common/discover.c to find the following code snippet:

void discover_interfaces (state)
         int state;
{
         struct interface_info *tmp, *ip;
         struct interface_info *last, *next;
         char buf [2048];
                   ^^^^
Increase the size of buf for example to 32768 and it will work.

--
Attila Nagy                                   e-mail: Attila.Nagy@fsn.hu
Free Software Network (FSN.HU)           phone @work: +361 210 1415/127