Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 1996 10:20:34 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Various problem's with FreeBSD

> Are there any area codes that start with 1?

Good point, yes, I was off-by-one there.

> I thought it was [2-9][0-9][0-9] now.  At least, my friend in the 423 area
> code would be particularly surprised to find out that his area code didn't
> exist.  In fact, the people in all of the following places might be kind of
> surprised.

David Greenman already set me straight on this one - they apparently
changed this awhile back, possibly while I was out of the country
(that's my excuse, anyway, and I'm sticking to it :-).

He also said that there was quite a flap about it in his area due to
the fact that many PBX systems would do a quick sanity check on a
dialed number by performing essentially the same check (modulo the
off-by-one) I suggested.  Some businesspeople evidently expressed
strong displeasure at being assigned the new numbers since they said
that these false-blocks in the old PBX equipment were costing them
business.

> 242 as of 10-1996, Bahamas

Cool.  Now I know that my new mission in life is to get a 242 area
code for my next telephone number later on this year.  :-)

					Jordan