Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:36:19 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Christopher Stein <stein@eecs.harvard.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd port of netboot?..

In message <Pine.OSF.4.20.0008291444240.18775-100000@wally> Christopher Stein writes:
: .. does anyone know if this exists? It would
: speed up the panic-edit-compile-boot-copy-boot kernel hacking
: cycle by transforming it to panic-edit-compile-netboot.

I usually mount everything readonly when I try a new module just
before loading it.  It saves a tone of time.  All I gotta fsck on the
way back up is /var since it won't mount ro after syslog starts, which
makes sense if you think about it.

mount -ur /
mount -ur /usr
moutn -ur /junk

is what I have in a script.  After it succeeds, I do a mount -uwa
which updates all the mounts.

You can also netboot via a ROM on your ethernet card or via floppy,
but I've not done that.  The above works well enough for me.

Warner