Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:21:01 -0700
From:      Bruce Dang <btdang@home.com>
To:        "Jason L. Schwab" <jlschwab@jlschwab.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login failure question

Jason,

You might want to look at login.conf(5) man page.  Regarding the scans;
in today's Internet, there are 349067239460723986 leeto kids running
around scanning for leeto exploits, so getting scanned on a daily basis
is NORMAL now ;).  So the best you can do is block those IPs. An good
way of logging these stuff is setting
net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain=1
net.inet.udp.log_in_vain=1

via sysctl(8).  Btw, if you are running telnet, I suggest you close that
and use ssh instead.

Bruce Dang
www.tbug.org