Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 15:56:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        mikebo@tellabs.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS v3 on FBSD client/Sun server?

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 mikebo@tellabs.com wrote:

> Alfred -
> > When can you NOT get tcp mounts?
> >
> > a) Solaris is serving NFS and you mount a share onto a FreeBSD box?
>
> This works sometimes, and sometimes not. Perhaps it is one particular
> server with a problem. I'll try to qualify that. The server which does
> not serve NFS over TCP is a Solaris 2.6 machine.

just to clarify, yes you DO have ask for tcp+nfsv3 in this case.

> > b) FreeBSD is serving NFS and you mount a share onto a Solaris box?
>
> AFAIK, this works (over NFS v3 and TCP) all the time without having to
> specify any mount option.
> >
> > if the case is 'a' afaik FreeBSD does NOT automatically do TCP and nfsv3
> > because they aren't as well proven to be reliable, you HAVE to explicitly
> > ask for it via "tcp,nfsv3" options.
>
> When it works, the options do seem to be required. This seems to be
> contrary to the mount_nfs man page, which states:
> # The options are:
> #
> # -2      Use the NFS Version 2 protocol (the default is to try version 3
> #         first then version 2).
> #
> Also, I thought NFS v3 implied the default use of TCP. But the man page
> doesn't say. Thanks for the help.

The man page is lying, or.....

On boot, when do my mounts, I almost _always_ get a:

xxx server is not responding
xxx server is alive again

I think the delay in negotiation makes freebsd fall back to NFS2/udp

You really should specify the mount options fully, tuneing NFS isn't as
simple as right clicking on 'network neighborhood' as certain other
L^H^H^H^Hunix distributors would like you to believe. :)

Alfred Perlstein - Programmer, HotJobs Inc. - www.hotjobs.com
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        3.0-current