Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:47:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        duanewinner@att.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad T30 modem (Agere AC'97)

On 30 Jan, Duane Winner wrote:
> Dave and Peter,
>
> Thanks for your input.
> Discouraging news, but not the end of the world. I rarely go on the road
> or use PPP anymore, so it doesn't affect me much. The other two guys in
> my group might grumble a bit, but they'll just have to deal with it.
>
> I haven't bought a modem in years, much less a PCMCIA.
> Any good suggestions?

I ran into this same problem with my Thinkpad R40.  I ended up buying a
Zonet ZFM5600.  It was relatively inexpensive and worked fine when I was
on the road over the holidays.  The probe message says:

sio4: <INTEL CORP V92  MODEM AT-MD56XX> at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 5 function 0 con
fig 33 on pccard0
sio4: type 16550A
sio4: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode

The last line is because the modem shares its irq with cbb0.