Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 00:24:15 -0500
From:      "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: home pc use

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:46:37PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> types:
> > I think you're looking from your standpoint.  But note that the
> > average user is also very badly educated about computers.  When that
> > changes, software will get better than the current Microsoft junk.
>
> Unfortunately, that probably won't happen. Even people who are
> educated about computers and realize that it's junk keep on using
> it. That's because the cost of converting is so much higher than the
> benefit of converting. I mean - how many of people really care about

In addition, the average user is going to become less educated about
computers. As software becomes more user-friendly, users need to know
less about computers and therefore people who know less about
computers become users. The average computer user today knows much
less about computers than the average user back when the Internet was
running on TOPS operating systems. Overtime, improvements in
technology will allow people who know even less about computers to
start using them, and the average knowledge will decrease even more.

Bob Hall