Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:24:48 +0200
From:      Martin Eugen <martin.eugen@gmail.com>
To:        Jo?o Carlos Mendes Lu?s <jonny@jonny.eng.br>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
Subject:   Re: resolving routes externally

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:52:36 +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg@britannica.bec.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 11:42:39AM -0200, Jo?o Carlos Mendes Lu?s wrote:
> > >So I started to look at the ARP
> > >code, but it of course lacks the kernel - userland communication
> > >interface. I would appreciate any ideas about what would be the easier
> > >way to implement such a thing where the kernel could wait (up to some
> > >reasonable time-out) a userland daemon to install a new route.
> >
> > Why don't you simply discard the packet and wait for the next retry?

Because the network is not like the internet, packet error correction
and so on is done at lower layers, I mean... if there are some packets
that are equivalent to the TCP SYNs, the 'SYN' timeout in our case is
in minutes (because it is believed the host or a link is down or
something else that could take longer time to resolve). This is bad,
because connections will be established within some minutes...

> Or alternatively use an internal queue of limited size to keep track of
> those packages.

This is probably the only solution I can think of right now, but I
think poking a queue at regular, short intervals seems to me quite
expensive, isn't it? Or perhaps there could be a netgraph node that
handles the queue and connects to the userland daemon... but this
could make things much more complicated... ?