Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 1995 10:26:03 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: More nits

Michael Smith writes:

> Greg Lehey stands accused of saying:
> > I'm not really bitching about this.  I tend to agree that 4MB is too
> > little memory for anything useful, but I still think it's worth
> > drawing to people's attention that we *don't* want a System V, and
> > that there are virtues in small, lean systems.  And I agree that now
> > that the config stuff is a permanent component of the kernel, it
> > probably won't go away.  All the more reason to bear the problems in
> > mind before starting the project.
>
> Just to point out that detaching userconfig() would be _very_ simple; if
> anyone wants diffs to add a NOUSERCONFIG option I'll happily produce them.

Well, I think it would be a good idea if it's not too difficult.  But
I think the option should be USERCONFIG, not NOUSERCONFIG.  I see this
feature as a really valuable advantage when installing FreeBSD, and of
not much use afterwards, so it makes more sense to add it as an option
rather than offering the option of removing it again.

Greg