Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:38:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Jake Rivera <jakerivera@ameritech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Xfree86 3.3.6 and FreeBSD 4.0 problem installing X windows

On 22-Mar-2001 Jake Rivera wrote:
>     Having problem installing X windows "Xfree86 3.3.6" and "FreeBSD 4.0".
> When I selected my video card "S3 Savage Rev 4" and selected my modes "1024 *
> 768 and 32 bytes color. After I done that the testing start and failed. When
> it ask me again if I want to start again I said yes, and for a sec it show a
> really bad resolution and a really bad color and I can't get out it and the
> computer hangs. And it never ask me if I want to save the setting.
>
>     If anyone have the problem and have resolve it. Please E-mail I really
> like FreeBSD up and running in my new computer.

XFree86 3.3.6 has no direct support for Savage.  Your only option is to use
standard SVGA, which really sucks, as you'll get none of the benefits of video
acceleration, etc.

If you really want true Savage support, upgrade to XFree86 4.0.2 or later.
You'll need to do a little tweaking of your XF86Config file after running
xf86config (if you select "Savage 4" from the list of cards, xf86config will
tell you that the card is unsupported, which is incorrect; go ahead and
select it anyway, then edit your XF86Config file).  Here's the crucial section
from my own config:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "S3 Savage4"
    Driver      "savage"
    VideoRam    16384
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

Hope this helps.

--
Conrad Sabatier