Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:19:55 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where are the 4.7 release sources?

On 2002-10-23 18:10, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com> wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:
> > The very simplistic answer is:
> >
> > 	a. Download all the files from
> > 	   ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.7-RELEASE/src/
> >
> > 	b. Run the install.sh script as root.
>
> Maybe they'd make a good src/README.  I just took www.freebsd.org's
> "Getting FreeBSD" link.

Perhaps.  This is not a bad point altogether.  I'm reading again some
of the messages I have in my local mailbox.  Apparently, a lot of
people are thinking about src/README.  In this particular case, it's
probably a chicken and egg problem, since src/README cannot help one
locate the sources, because it is part of the sources...

But you're right at least in this; that there is a need for better
documentation in "Getting FreeBSD".

>     The official sources for FreeBSD are available via anonymous FTP
>     from: ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/.
>
> Then you get to poke around a big directory tree until you blunder
> across releases/i386/4.7-RELEASE/src/.  Our intrepid OP apparently
> managed to get that far, but was probably too worn down to try looking
> for and decyphering the install.sh script.

I don't mind the occasional question.  I'm glad that pointing him to
the install.sh script did the trick, and now he probably has his
sources downloaded with FTP.

Giorgos.