Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:05:22 +0200
From:      "Erik Mattsson" <erik.mattsson@imbridge.com>
To:        "Matthew Seaman" <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install problems: de0: autosense failed

> The Digital 21140A chipset is PCI only, I believe.  Anyhow, since
> you've got that output, your kernel has recognised the card.  It can't
> however detect the ethernet heartbeat signal, either because a) you
> haven't plugged it into the network correctly or b) because the card
> or cables are broken or c) the card is failing to autonegociate the
> media type correctly.

The card is connected to a Netgear Switch, and Ive tried switching cables
with the same result. So it seems that it is c) that is causing the problem.

> c) can be solved by adding 'media 10baseT' as an extra option to
> ifconfig as exactly as you did for netbsd.  It's pretty clear where to
> put that in the Sysinstall dialog for configuring interfaces.

Where should I do this? Do you mean in the the first menu (Kernel config menu, where I
can choose Visual/CLI or auto)?
Ive removed all conflicting networks (eg All), in the Visual menu; but this hasnt helped me.
Ive tried to disable the ed0 device (ed0 seems to have the same irq setting as the de0 has
during loading), but this didnt help.

How can I setup the ifconfig? The only options in the CLI mode is change IRQ, memory
adresses and Flags.

The install process has never gotten into the sysinstall program, it always locks after
the "de0: autosense failed" is displayed.

>    de%d: not configured; 21140 pass 1.1 required (%d.%d found)

Nope, havent seen that one. But here is the output for my card:

de0: <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> port =xec80-0xecff mem 0xffbefc00-0xffbefc7f irq 10 at device 17,0 on pci0
de0: ACCTON EN1207 21140A [10-100MB/s] pass 2.0
de0: address 00:00:e8:31:88:0a
pci0: <unknwon card> (vendor=0x1274,dev=0x1371) at 19.0 irq 10
afd0: failure to send ATAPI package command
afd0: failure to execute ATAPI package command
de0: autosense failed: cable problem?

And then nothing happens.

Regards
Erik