Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 19:22:33 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        jshafer@triton.net (John Shafer)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jmb@hub.freebsd.org, postmaster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spam blocking (was Re: Book - "Pulpit Confessions: Exposing The Black Church")

> It seems that mindless.com did indeed fall prey to the spam blocks.  I
> do appreciate the spam-free nature of the lists, and realize it isn't
> an exact science, but I was wondering what our usual policy for
> dealing with spam was.   Do we ban an entire site on the basis of one
> spammer?  Do we make attempts to contact the ISPs in question first?

I generally contact the site in question and, unless they reply to me
saying "we're taking care of it", the whole domain is blocked.  If
they bounce mail sent to abuse@domain or postmaster@domain I also
block them since any ISP who doesn't care enough to have a workable
way of contacting them to report problems also probably doesn't care
about spam and certainly hasn't given me any way to reasonably contact
them.

> I did just send a note to postmaster asking if an exception to the
> block on mindless.com could be made for my address.  Otherwise it

Sorry, it doesn't work that way since our anti-spam software blocks
on a TLD basis, not per-user.

- Jordan