Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 13:09:20 -0800
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
To:        'Tim McMillen' <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: How To Configure 2nd NIC?

I've installed it and rebooted but didn't see any reference to ed1 in the
dmesg, just ed0.  But then I haven't added any settings for it in rc.conf
either.  I'm not sure what to do next.  I've looked in Greg's book but I
didn't see anything explicit for two cards.  And then in looking over my
kernel config file, my original NIC (ed0) is defined as follows:

device          ed0     at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000

However, this card is explicitly set (not PnP - system is way to old) to use
IRQ 9 and 0x240.  But my NIC has always worked.  How?  Why?  I assume I
should edit the line to read:

device          ed0     at isa? port 0x240 irq 9 iomem 0xd8000

The second NIC has been explicitly set to IRQ 11 and 0x260. My original
thought was that I'd need a second line in my kernel config like this:

device          ed1     at isa? port 0x260 irq 11 iomem 0xd8000

But this is not necessary?  I hope I'm not confusing you.  The second NIC
has been installed.  The first worked before the additional NIC was
installed and continues to work after installation.  However, the second NIC
is not in the dmesg output.  I'm not sure what steps I need to take to get
FBSD to see the second NIC.

Thanks,

Drew