Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 07:34:00 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@newsguy.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Scott Bogert" <scott.bogert@usa.net>
Subject:   Re: I am confused.

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 01:18:52 -0400, Scott Bogert wrote:

>It says in the documentation that the boot floppy (which i have successfully
>created) will get and set up the files automatically.  You can't mean from a
>dial-up isp.  All the software for dialing the connection etc. couldn't fit
>on one little floppy could it?

Yes it can fit into one floppy. I have only done it twice, but dialup
installation over a regular modem is supported by FreeBSD. The tricky
part may be that you may need to type some ppp settings depending on
your ISP. I use IBM.net and in order to install FreeBSD over a modem
I need to do a series of settings manually.

>if my IP address is
>assigned by my server, then how could i know in advance what it is?

You don't. How about if you mention your ISP perhaps we could help if
we have more specifics.

>If i knew what files to download to my windows HDD (I wish to install
>FreeBDS on my second HDD) then i would be happy to do that.

You can do that too. I think if you look into the handbook that it
may tell you what files you need. Which filesystem are you using with
windows? I think FreebSD can not read the latest Fat-32(?). You can
also copy the files to floppies.

Have you considered getting the FreeBSD CDroms. By far this is the
easiest.
If the budget is tight get a few friends and share the cost of the
CDroms.

>my c drive, will the boot floppy allow me to install them onto the D: drive?

If D is FAT I think it should be ok, although I think you are better
off leaving the space unformatted and prepare it with FreeBSD. DO
BACKUP all your C data before you work with this. I talk from
experience I deleted everything once by mistake.