Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 01:46:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org>
To:        gar@ccnet.com (Adam Capell)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP masquerading possible?

> Is there a way to do IP masquerading under FreeBSD, so that I can
> connect my network to the internet with only a single static IP
> number?

	Look for Darren Reed's IPFilter package.  It includes some
	code to provide NAT (Network Address Translation) -- which
	is another term for "masquerading."

	Please understand that some protocols (like talk) will
	not work properly through masquerading.  Also, I suspect
	that NAT/masquerading produces a heavier load on the
	server than proxying (via SOCKS).  I would suggest setting
	up proxying services -- deploying the clients for those --
	and saving NAT for those services that can't run via
	SOCKS.