Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:13:15 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        David Bear <David.Bear@asu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: awk question, maybe

# David.Bear@asu.edu / 2003-12-15 16:30:33 -0700:
> i would like to do something like
>
> df | awk '{print $1}'
>
> to capture all the current file systems.  But I would like to strip
> off the first and last lines, since these are generally -- not needed.
>
> the goal is to write a generalized script that can feed dump with all
> the file systems on a box.

    I would use mount(8) instead: its output doesn't include any
    headers, but you'll still want to pass through only local
    filesystems, so it doesn't really matter:

    roman@freepuppy ~ 1006:0 > mount | awk '/\/dev\/(ad|da)/ {print $1}'
    /dev/ad0s1a
    /dev/ad0s1e
    roman@freepuppy ~ 1007:0 > df | awk '/\/dev\/(ad|da)/ {print $1}'