Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 23:20:32 -0500
From:      Ryan Younce <ryan@manunkind.org>
To:        jerry <jerry@pc-intouch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing nics

Thus spake jerry <jerry@pc-intouch.com>:
> I have 2 pcs running FreeBSD. I changed nic on one pc. This pc is
> triple-booting FreeBSD,
> Slackware 7.0 and Windows 98. I was able to re-configure both the LInux
> and Windows
> network interfaces........... (old = smc-ultra, new=ne2000). After
> reviewing the manual, It seems
> to me that the only way to reconfigure for the new nic, is to re-install
> the FreeBSD system.`
> I sure hope I'm wrong...
>    de jerry

You're wrong. =)

If I understand correctly, you swapped out a NIC with another one and want
to maintain the same configuration (IP address, broadcast, gateway, etc).
Compile support for the new card into your kernel for the device to be
recognized.  You can use /stand/sysinstall to configure it or if you want,
just add the new device to the network_interfaces list in /etc/rc.conf,
and add a configuration line for the new interface.  For example, assuming
a new 3c509 card was installed (which is device ep, the first being ep0),
you would have the following lines in /etc/rc.conf:

	network_interfaces="ep0 lo0 [any other interfaces]"
	ifconfig_ep0="inet [your ip] netmask [your netmask]"

You can reboot then, or if the card is already in the kernel and you don't
want to reboot, look at using /sbin/ifconfig to bring the new interface
up and simultaneously configuring it.  Usually something like:

	/sbin/ifconfig ep0 up [your ip address] netmask [your netmask]

--
Ryan "Cheshire" Younce  -  Registered Libertarian  -  Professional Cat Herder
ryan@manunkind.org|ICQ 4433228(H) 74390437(W)|http://www.manunkind.org/~ryan/