Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 10:31:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't change user's password

Benoit Rossier recently said:
> >Check the passwd file with "pwd_mkdb -C /etc/master.passwd".
> >

> I have checked the passwd file with this command and there is no
> errors. It looks like a bug because the user who I can't change
> the password can do a login and use his mailbox and ftp.

> If I cut and paste the same line at the beginning of the master.passwd
> file, I can change the password !!

Ooh.  Sometimes cut and paste can get you.  Just a SWAG here, but
check the entry or entries just before the non-login-able user.

I've seen systems where blanks in password files kill you, as the
system will think there is no further data past a certain entry.

You didn't say how many people you have in the file, so maybe you
hit up against a size limit, but I doubt that.

--
bv@wjv.com