Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 23:31:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-QUESTIONS-L <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
Subject:   HP Vectra VL 5/166 PCI probe

    Is there anything I should watch out for when installing FreeBSD
on an HP Vectra VL 5/166?  We've been contracted to provide and
maintain Internet and UNIX server access for a small university in the
U.S.   The folks down there went ahead and blew a wad of cash on
five HP P166 servers with 4GB of disk each, some ISA Buslogic SCSI
controllers I've never heard of, 128MB of EDO, HP 100VG Ethernet
NIC's and an HP 100VG switch.  I love it when a customer tries to
"help out" like this.  :-(

    Griping aside, I know for sure that the 100VG technology isn't
support by FreeBSD right now, but I've convinced them to get SMC
EtherPower NIC's instead, and replace the Buslogics with Adaptec
2940's.  A search of the mailing list archives reveals a problem with
the PCI probe code in 2.2-960323-SNAP.  Have there been any changes to
this part of the code since then?  I will likely be installing the
2.2-960612 snapshot.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.