Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:59:23 -0500
From:      "Predius" <predius@netzero.net>
To:        "Jud" <jud@operamail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cooling Athlon / Linux App

There is an easy solution built into the FreeBSD kernel source, but you will
have to recompile to use it.  From /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT

# CPU_SUSP_HLT enables suspend on HALT.  If this option is set, CPU
# enters suspend mode following execution of HALT instruction.

This does precisely what vcool does.  (And is the default for NT based
windows releases btw...)

Add that option to your kernel conf, recompile and install the kernel, and
you'll be all set.

Joshua Coombs