Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:35:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cur{thread/proc}, or not.

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

> John Baldwin wrote:
> > the refcount for now, but I still have patches that
> > some people don't like for implementing a simple refcount API just using
> > atomic operations.
>
> Please commit these.  Using mutexes in this instance is just a happy way
> to put the performance in the toilet.

My recollection is that there was some concern about the size of the unit
of atomic operation across platforms.  I may not recall correctly, but my
understanding was that some platforms substantially limited the potential
size of the target of the atomic operation to less than the normal
arithmetic unit size.  Again, subject to the fallibility of my
recollection, the maximum unit for atomic operations on Sparc64 was
24-bit, despite the native register size being 64-bit.