Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 16:52:31 -0500
From:      "Alejandro Ramírez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with NAT!!!

Hi,

    Im setting up a FreeBSD 3.2 Release server (Fresh Install), as a mail
server using sendmail 8.9.3, i have procmail 3.13.1 to deliver mail to home
directories, have quotas enabled, Im using NAT in my Cisco routers, and
everything its working great, the server its very fast responding to the
smtp requests of the machines in the local network (Where the IP address its
not translated) if telnet the server to the port 25, the response its very
fast too, but when i try to send email with a computer that its behind the
NAT, it takes 25 seconds to respond the smtp request, even if i telnet to
the machine to the port 25 it delays 25 seconds to answer, but in the
computers that are behind the NAT, i can telnet the sever very fast, and
also I can telnet the server to the port 110 with a very fast response, the
problem its only with the port 25 apparently, what can I do to correct this
problem, BTW, I also have an NT machine that its working as mi actual mail
server, and i have no problems with it, i can telnet to this server to the
port 25 and the response its very fast from the computers behind the NAT, i
dont think this is a problem with mi routers, because it always have worked
rigth since 1 year ago, and they are working rigth now very well with the NT
server.

This is the output that it gives me

FreeBSD% telnet 207.249.163.249 25
Trying 207.249.163.249...
Connected to mail.megared.net.mx.
Escape character is '^]'.

After 25 seconds it returns this...

220-mail.megared.net.mx ESMTP Mail Server.
220-Ready on Fri, 18 Jun 1999 16:13:16 -0500 (CDT).
220 !!!Do Not Spam this Site or use it as a Relay Without Explicit
Permission!!

As I said this delay only occurs with the computers behind the NAT, and with
the port 25 of this server, all other ports answer inmediately (to the
telnet request for example port 23 and 110). But the computer that are not
behind the NAT doesnt have this problem. BTW I have 2 more FreeBSD Servers,
and both of them have the same behavior, this 2 servers are used for testing
purposes and they are not configured specially as a mail server, they have
the stock sendmail and the stock /etc/sendmail.cf.

Its there some tweak thing to do, or what can I do to Fix it???

All my users are behind the NAT, and this behavior its going to be a very
slow response for sending mail.

PS. If you need more information, just tell me. BTW this is te real IP
Address of the server, you could do a straight and reverse lookups if you
want, I have allready done this and its working fine.

Thanks in advance!!!

Ales