Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:53:56 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions (was: cvs commit: src/games/fortune/datfiles fortunes)

On Thursday,  1 June 2000 at 20:03:33 -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey) writes:
>
>> On Thursday,  1 June 2000 at 16:29:25 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
>
>>> That convention dates back to the time of hand-set type and has, of late,
>>> been abandoned. One space is now not only acceptable but preferred in
>>> business correspondence.
>>
>> Do you have any documentation to back this up?
>
> Which part?

The last part: "One space is now not only acceptable but preferred in
business correspondence.".

> The first sentence was certainly false: hand-set type in English
> conventionally used spacing that was *between* one and two spaces
> wide.

I don't see that machine-set type should be any different.  In
typesetting we're always talking about variable width spacing, and the
only real issue is the relationship between interword and
intersentence spacing.  It seems that in England this relationship has
been growing over the years.

> I'd question the second one, too, on the basis that most business
> correspondence is now done with methods that attempt to imitate that
> particular hand-type convention.

1½ spaces?

Greg