Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 14:14:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wham Bang <wham_bang@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IP Filter vrs ipfw+natd

Hi all,

Having resolved some hardware issues, I'm now ready to set up a
(3.1-RELEASE) machine as firewall and NAT box for a few machines
at home.  There seems to be a lot of documentation on the
FreeBSD site about using ipfw and natd to do this.  But when I
attended SANS98, IP Filter (http://cheops.anu.edu.au/~avalon/)
seemed to be getting a lot of praise.

However, I found next to nothing about it on the FreeBSD site
even though FreeBSD ships with it - and the package itself from
the above site contains installation instructions for FreeBSD
that seem old (they don't talk about 3.X).  There's some stuff
about it in the FreeBSD diaries
(http://www.dvl-software.com/freebsd/topics.htm#ipfilter), but
again mostly for 2.2.X...

So I'm a little confused.  I think I'd rather use IP Filter, but
I can't even find clear instructions on building a 3.1 kernel
with it enabled...  Does anyone have any advice to offer on
IP Filter versus ipfw and natd?  Is there some reason that
there's so much documentation on ipfw and natd compared to
the IP Filter stuff?  Is there one Preferred Way to go about
doing this?

TIA,
===
Wham! <wham_bang@yahoo.com>