Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:02:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Mike & Tracy Holt <res04d8w@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot disks

> Hello,
>     I've just installed FreeBSD 4 on a computer that's set up as follows:
>
> hdd 1 - Win98, Win2000, Linux-Mandrake 7.1
> hdd 2 - Win2000 Server (evaluation), FreeBSD 4
>
> This is the first time I've tried FreeBSD and I'm a bit confused as to how
> to boot the system.  I chose not to install a boot manager during setup to
> avoid losing my nt bootloader which I've sucessfully setup to boot
> everything else.  I assumed at some point there would be the option to
> create a boot floppy, but I didn't notice that step.  Did I miss something?
> At this point, I'm not able to boot into FBSD and I'm hoping that I will be
> able to create some kind of boot disk without reinstalling.  If I can get
> into the system, I can run dd to create a boot file for the nt loader, but
> until then, I'm stumped.
>
> Thanks for any advice, Mike

Create a installation boot floppy (just the first one: kern.flp) as
outlined in the Handbook.  Next, boot the system from the floppy.  When
it prompts for the MFS root floppy, just hit Enter and let it fail.  It
will then display a 10 second countdown.  When it does, hit the space key.
You will know be at a command prompt in the loader.  Type 'lsdev' to get
a list of the disks and partitions on your system.  One such partition
should be a FreeBSD partition, and it should list each of the FreeBSD
partitions as disk2s2a, etc.  (or disk3s4a,  depends on what disk and slice
FreeBSD is installed to, although I think it will be disk2s2a from your
description above).  You can then type 'set currdev=disk2s2a' to make that
partition your current location.  Type 'unload' to unload the kernel you
loaded from the kernel floppy.  Then type 'load /kernel'.  It should load
the kernel from your hard disk.  Finally, type 'boot' to boot the system.

HTH

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com>