Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 20:31:33 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and memetics

> This is misguided. It is that which does not reproduce which whithers
> and dies because the resources are consumed by stronger competitors in
> the ecosystem. Memes must replicate or be overwhelmed and die.

This is a very limited viewpoint, to say the least, as it presumes
that Linux is somehow "poaching" from FreeBSD's potential mindshare.
Nothing could be further from the truth, as both the realities of this
market and our growth patterns over the last 3 years indicate.

First off, as I've said before, when any MIS manager makes an OS
decision which is not FreeBSD (or *BSD), he's going to take one of the
following options:

1. NT
2. Solaris/AIX/some other commercial Unix
3. Linux

(we'll discount OS/2 and Novell as effective players right now).

If he choses option #1, he's almost certainly lost to us since even if
things utterly fails to work, he has a very big target (Microsoft) to
pin the blame one and, to modify an old saying somewhat, "nobody ever
got fired for buying Microsoft."  It's also a decision which is
usually difficult to back away from for various political reasons in
the workplace.  I'm not saying it never happens, I'm simply saying
that it's been rare in my experience.

If he chooses option #2, it's likely that he's accepted the gospel of
Unix into his heart (which is good) but also chose the commercial
alternative for reasons of applications base or support, neither of
which we can compete with in any reasonable way (and it does no good
saying that we *should* be able to, that's the situation we still have
to live with *right now*).

If he chooses option #3, that's the easiest "upsell" possible for us
since he's clearly accepted both Unix and the open source idea into
his heart and can deal with all the support and commercial application
shortcomings of that platform.  If we can get him to give FreeBSD a
taste test, we stand a very good chance of "making a sale", at least a
far better chance than with options 1 or 2, and every customer which
Linux attracts away from options 1 and 2 is a customer which is that
much closer (far closer) to us.

Second, with regard to "poaching", this market is expanding rather
explosively at the moment and even the most conservative estimates
place FreeBSD's growth at between 30-40% a year.  That's a damn fine
growth rate and I find it hard to believe that Linux is "hurting" us
more than it's helping us (see above) given numbers like these.  I
talk to a lot of customers in the field, probably more than most
anyone on this list does, and it's a very rare experience where I hear
a customer say that they switched from FreeBSD to Linux or chose Linux
over FreeBSD based on an evaluation of technical merit.  We're just
not competing in the same market space nor COULD we realistically
compete there since it has nothing to do with PR, it has to do with
our respective feature sets or lack thereof.

Linux is currently the darling of the desktop set and that has nothing
to do with what I may or may not have said about FreeBSD and the
desktop, it has to do with our weak audio, PCCARD and general
multimedia support.  These are all things which I've gone far out of
my way to try and drum up enthusiasm for and we just don't have the
resources to match Linux here.  I'm sure Brett will say this all stems
from my attitude towards the desktop, or something, but that's a
supposition which complete ignores history and the fact that I've been
issuing calls for volunteers for YEARS in these areas, sponsored an X
Desktop Theme contest which failed due to utter lack of interest, and
have been practically crying for someone to own the Audio and/or
PCCARD development for FreeBSD, all long before I ever uttered word
one about our strategy for the desktop vs the server.

Our slogan used to be "turning PCs into workstations", for god's sake,
and I did my very best to deliver on that slogan but the resources to
back up the slogan just weren't there.  I can't write an audio
subsystem by myself, nor can I support all the laptops in existence,
and so I evolved the attitude I have today out of sheer necessity.  I
learned the hard way that you can write all the impassioned diatribes
you like about how winning the desktop is just a matter of attracting
enough users through better PR which will all lead back full-circle to
a good desktop presence and lots of multimedia bells and whistles, but
impassioned diatribes do not make it so and they don't win you back
the several year's worth of advantage your competitors have gained on
the desktop in the meantime.

Like it or not, FreeBSD has simply evolved in a different direction
and even minor course corrections won't be brought about through
"impassioned advocacy" on the chat list, they'll be brought about by
the one component that's been missing from the VERY BEGINNING here:
The technical features which make FreeBSD on the desktop an attractive
proposition when stacked against its competition.

Claiming that the FreeBSD community would just be unreceptive to your
efforts is also mere sophistry and a fine justification for not doing
any of the necessary work while still retaining your rock-thrower's
permit and it's nothing more than that.  Sadly, a lot of people still
haven't learned from what should have been 6 years' worth of hard-won
experience by now and still think that simply shaking your fist at the
sea will result in tangible progress.  It doesn't.  If you want to see
FreeBSD be more popular or be a better solution to your problem set of
choice, don't even bother making weak excuses about how this Just
Isn't Wanted or the Evil Jordan will certainly impede your efforts
through his meglomaniacal tendencies because at the end of the day,
that's all they are - weak excuses.

- Jordan