Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 18:05:08 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Siggy Brentrup <bsb@winnegan.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building SMP kernel

Siggy Brentrup <bsb@winnegan.de> types:
> coming from the Debian/GNU Linux world, I just installed FreeBSD 4.2
> from CD on an otherwised unused dual P166 System. Since the default
> kernel is configured w/o SMP support, I have to rebuild it, but from
> the docs I understand you have to successfully make world beforehand.

The docs are wrong. Could you provide a URL for the ones in question,
so they can be fixed, or reworded for clarity?

You have to make world before you can build a kernel after you update
your sources. If you haven't updated your sources, you can build a
kernel with the binaries you've already installed. If you have updated
your sources, you'll need to reinstall the original sources, or go
through the make world before you can build a kernel.

> Having installed a full system I'd really like to have SMP enabled
> before making world, is there a way? Can't find it in the manual or
> the FAQ.

cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf. Copy GENERIC to the name you want to use
for your SMP config. Edit that file, uncommenting the two lines you
need for SMP (options SMP and options APIC_IO). At this time, you
might want to remove any devices that your kernel isn't finding at
boot, but paying attention to comments like "Be sure to keep the
'device ..." in the config file. After that, it's:

	config YOURCONFIGNAME
	cd ../../compiler/YOURCONFIGNAME
	make depend
	make
	make install

and then reboot. Caveats about error messages and the like go here.

	<mike