Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:23:09 -0700
From:      Mahlon Smith <reich@internetcds.com>
To:        Jim Arnold <jim@ohio.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spontaneous reboots: how common in general?

I've seen this with bad ram, also with a bad disk controller.

In both cases, console displayed a panic message that helped clue me in on
what the problem was, I'd suggest checking your console next time it
happens, or if you aren't around, stick a null cable between com1 and
comX on another box, and setup a terminal logger (CRT, Kermit, whatever)
to capture the panic for review later.
( echo "-P" > /boot.config && reboot )

Regardless, your most likely culprit is hardware.

--
Mahlon Smith
InternetCDS