Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:51:43 +0100
From:      Klaus Brunner <k.brunner@acm.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfilter on 3.4-STABLE: "File exists"

Hello,

I'm trying to get ipfilter (plus ipnat) to work on my 3.4-STABLE box
(fresh cvsup today, kernel options IPFILTER and IPFILTER_LOG). The
ipfilter comes up and gives me an "initialized, default = pass all,
logging = enabled" message. ipnat gets initialized and works fine.

However, as soon as I try to add ANY rule using ipf, I get a "File
exists" message.

Example (trying to enter a simple rule from stdin):

root@winf# ipf -f -
pass in all
^D
ioctl(SIOCADDFR): File exists

The relevant portion of rc.network looks like this (taken from the
manual at www.free-x.ch):

if [ X"${ipfilter}" = X"YES" -a -f "${ipfilter_rules}" ]; then
         echo " configuring ipfilter "
         ipf -Fa -f ${ipfilter_rules} -E
else
         ipfilter="NO"
fi

This of course also gives me "ioctl(SIOCADDFR): File exists" messages.
What's up? Am I doing something wrong? I couldn't find anything on the
various ipfilter pages I searched.

Any help appreciated!

TIA.

Klaus