Date:      10 May 2002 11:09:17 +1000
From:      Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        bugs@bugs.au.freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
Subject:   Network problems in recent -stable

Hi,

I follow -stable on a more-or-less weekly basis, and this has it's ups
and downs, because sometimes things change, and it's not clear whether
the change is the result of the system upgrade, a port upgrade, or
something external.  All good fun, anyway.

I maintain an MS-PPTP VPN link between my FreeBSD system and my office
network, using the mpd port and netgraph.  This has, historically, been
really reliable, and works well.  Lately, I've been having problems,
though:

Often, mail sent _to_ the office mail server will hang, and qmail-send
will note a time-out.  Mail from the server is almost never a problem
(fetchmail), and messages sent manually, by typing SMTP through a telnet
session also always work fine.

I've recently noticed CVS update, diff and commit commands failing.
Turning on logging (cvs -t) shows that a hang occurs when sending files
to the server (another FreeBSD-4.something box).  Checking out whole
project directories works fine, though.  Only sent data is the problem.

Yesterday I tried running some X clients across the VPN, with apparently
similar results.  xev would run, but xv and xterm would hang.  Both
would run nicely through an ssh proxy connection, rather than over the
VPN.

I've run tcpdump on ng0, the netgraph VPN interface, and these hangs
show my system sending an ACK packet over and over again, with no reply
or progress from the other end.

In summary: it sounds to me like a fragmentation/MTU problem on packets
sent from my machine to machines on the office network.  Little packets
get through fine, but large ones that have to fragment get lost in the
works.  Seemingly.

Trouble is, I know only enough TCP/IP networking juju to get myself into
trouble.  I don't know how to tweak MTUs, or even to determine whether
that is indeed the problem.  Are there network trouble-shooting
diagnostic tools in the system, or in the ports collection?  I need to
get to the bottom of this, but don't know where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Andrew