Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:10:13 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Visigoth <visigoth@telemere.net>, Daniel Hauer <dh@enter.net>
Subject:   Re: How to apply patches?

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:59:47 +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:

> Actually, I've been thinking about this lately - setting up my own
> CVS server to track both FreeBSD cvsup's and my own mods.

CVSup was originally developed as a tool for mirroring repositories.  It
doesn't sound like you need a repository.  It sounds like you just need
checked out source, provided that the tool you use to update that
checked out source doesn't blow away your local modifications.

You could use anoncvs to check out and then maintain a source tree.
Local modifications to the tree will be left intact.  Every now and
then, a FreeBSD committer may make a change in an area that you have
already changed.  In this case, you'll get a CVS conflict, the conflict
will be clearly marked inside the file and you will need to edit the
file and fix the conflict.  Fixing conflicts is often trivial.

For information on anoncvs, see this web page:

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/anoncvs.html

Ciao,
Sheldon.