Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:29:31 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Emmanuel DELOGET <pixel@DotCom.FR>
To:        syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au (Stephen McKay)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers Mail List)
Subject:   Re: NT4 server 2.5 times faster than Linux

As the well known Stephen McKay said...
->On Wednesday, 14th April 1999, Luoqi Chen wrote:
->
->>Saw this on yesterday's slashdot news:
->>	http://www.mindcraft.com/whitepapers/nts4rhlinux.html
->>I wonder how well FreeBSD would perform.
->
->I wonder also.  The load is much higher than similar NT vs Linux tests
->that I've seen.  And the hardware is all very, very new.
->
->People shouldn't be so quick to dump on Mindcraft, even if they were
->bought by Microsoft.  The facts of the report should be digested and
->argued rationally.  Then, if we find that Mindcraft have deliberately
->distorted things, we can dump on them. :-)
->
->So far I've spotted only 2 relevant facts:

	Note a third on the apache configuration :

	3) Set OPTIM = "-04 -m486" before compiling
	Will you choose 486 optim on a 4xPII Xeon ? I would not,
	since this will slow down the whole program... But the goal
	was not to have it to run fast... On a similar point of view,
	It could be nice to have the complete configuration of the
	linux box (maybe they have choosen 486 cpus too :)

	And More in IIS :

	4)Server set to maximize throughput for applications when doing
	WebBench tests
	No comment about this...

	In fact, we don't care that linux/apache is slower than nt/iss,
	since linux/apache is able to run without any reboot for months,
	and nt/iss is not (I experienced 5/10 reboot a week during 3 months
	in a small french ISP).

->
->1) "Drive D/Data: 8 x 4 GB Seagate Barracuda, Model ST34573WC, 7,200 RPM;
->    two partitions - one data partition for each OS"
->
->The two operating systems shared the drive array, so one of them got the
->good bit, and one got the bad bit.  This is flawed testing.
->
->2) "The Linux kernel limited itself to use only 960 MB of RAM"
->
->The box had 4GB of RAM, but Linux got to use less than 1GB.  Poor Linux.
->This was such a fair test! :-(  Do we recall a previous test where our
->favourite OS used only a portion of the total RAM?
->
->Now, what are the chances that FreeBSD Inc could purchase the services
->of Mindcraft to test a properly tuned FreeBSD box vs this NT box?
->
->Stephen.
->
->
->To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
->with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
->