Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:46:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing b/s via camcontrol (was invalid sector size 520)

Thomas Stromberg <thomas@stromberg.org> wrote:

> I noticed that codepage 0x03 contains sector/bytes data (and no others):
>
> root@subedei (/home/helix)# camcontrol modepage da0 -m3
> Tracks per Zone:  21
> Alternate Sectors per Zone:  9
> Alternate Tracks per Zone:  0
> Alternate Tracks per Logical Unit:  21
> Sectors per Track:  106
> Data Bytes per Physical Sector:  520
>
> So I try to use -e to edit it, but I only see Tracks per Zone, Alternate
> Sectors per Zone, and Alternate Tracks per Logical Unit  in my editor.

That means you cannot edit that value on this mode page.  Use the cook
recipe Greg Lehey posted.  Unfortunately, the vendors never agreed
about the procedure to reformat with another sector size (if possible
at all, not all support it).  Some use modepage 3, some use the
blocksize value in the modepage header.  Your drive is most likely of
this type, and Greg's posting contains the solution.

I'm not sure whether it would be possible to replace the second
camcontrol in Greg's posting by a simple "camcontrol format da0"
instead, or whether camcontrol format does some modepage fiddling of
its own.  It's vital for the success that both SCSI commands, the one
setting the blocksize and the FORMAT UNIT command, are issued without
intervening commands.

> Unfortunatly, my Sun U10 is
> scsi-less.

Any 53c875-based card should work in it.  I've seen cheap Tekram
DC390<something> controllers work in it.  Note that it (IMHO) doesn't
work with any other Symbios Logic chip, only the '875.