Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 00:47:54 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange error message

I haven't booted up my second disk in a long time in my laptop, and now
I get this error:

wd0: interrupt timeout:
wd0: status 50<seekdone> error 0
wd0: interrupt timeout:
wd0: status 50<seekdone> error 1<no_dam>

I can hear the disk 'cycling', and it never recovers.

Unfortunately, it's on my root partition, so 'dd' doesn't even work.
Unfortunately, the disk is 'unclean', so I can't even mount it
read-write to go find the offended disk block.  I suspectk it's trying
to read some block on my disk that went bad, but the error recovery is
such that once it starts to read it, it can't get past it.  Is there
something I can do to recover, or is it time to get a new disk (I don't
even know if I can buy one for a machine this old)?  I haven't noticed
anything wrong on the DOS side of the disk, but it just might not have
any bad-spots on that part of the disk.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Nate