Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:39:41 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <nick@garage.freebsd.pl>
To:        FB <freebsd@msquaredweb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple IPs in Jail

--uepJbk9oh0IF4lih

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:01:23AM -0800, FB wrote:
+> We patched mijail5 (http://garage.freebsd.pl/mijail.README) against
+> RELENG_5_1. Most of the patch was successful with a little fuzz, except =
 for
+> a couple lines in jls which didn't patch due to cosmetic changes (easily
+> fixed).=20
+>    =20
+> Before the patch was applied, the jail environment had no problem with d=
ns.
+> After the patch was applied  however (and userland rebuilt both on host =
and
+> jail), dns breaks in the jail environment. Basically, gethostbyname  fai=
ls
+> and h_errno is set to 2 - Host name lookup failure. the system is config=
ured
+> properly, since the only changes  are to the kernel and the modified jail
+> mechanism. Also interesting is that the failure is immediate, there is no
+> timeout.=20
+>  =20
+> However, inbound/outbound TCP traffic is not effected. - we are able to =
ssh
+> in/out of the jailed environment.=20
+> I was testing outbound UDP traffic however - simple matter of binding a
+> socket to send a packet to a remote host.=20
+>  =20
+> Outside the jail, it worked fine. inside the jail, sendto failed with a
+> EINVAL error.=20
+>  =20
+> Any help on this topic would be much appreciated.=20

I've many reports about DNS problems with my patch in jail, that's true.
I can't promise, but I'll try to find some time in few days to track this
problem down.

--=20
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       pawel@dawidek.net
UNIX Systems Programmer/Administrator     http://garage.freebsd.pl