Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 17:15:49 +1100
From:      "Steve Hearn"<Steve_Hearn@digicon-brs.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Changing serial line settings under FreeBSD

Can someone tell me the correct format of the stty command to
 change serial line parameters.  (I'm trying to run a serial printer
and need to make it xon, xoff and change baud rate).

For example to change the first serial line speed from 9600 to 1200
I've tried both

stty </dev/cuaa0 1200        AND    stty -f /dev/cuaa0 1200

Both forms are 'accepted' but don't actually change the baud rate.

I've tried moving the rc.serial file to stop 'locking' style stty commands
on
the /dev/cuala0 locking device at boot time . Also tried putting the above
stty command in a simplified rc.serial file.

Also commented the serial line getty commands in the /etc/ttys file.

Is there something else that is preventing me from changing the parameters.

Steve Hearn
Exploration Geophysics Laboratory
University of Queensland, Brisbane,  AUSTRALIA