Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:14:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        John <john@dexter.starfire.mn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EMC Symmetrix / Fibre Channel

> I am an Advisory Systems Engineer at EMC who is trying to get the company
> to pay more attention to FreeBSD.  The attitude at EMC Corporate seems to
> be that Linux implies or contains all (significant) Open Source
> Unix(-like) operating systems!

Don't I know it! I had a client that had to turn down a working target mode
implementation on FreeBSD because it wasn't Linux. Go figure.

> Therefore, I would love to hear from any of you who are operating FreeBSD
> attached to EMC Symmetrix Integrated Cache Disk Arrays or EMC DG CLARiiON
> products, what the challenges have been, if you've tried to use Linux
> compatibility to run the management and support software, and so forth.
>
> Related but not quite the same, I would love to hear from those
> who are working with Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop Point to Point,
> FC-AL with hubs, or Fibre Channel Switched Fabric (SAN) for FreeBSD.

I'm the driver writer for the QLogic FC cards in FreeBSD. It works, with
varying success, with Vixel, Gadzoox and other hubs in private loop mode (for
Qlogic 2100s and 2200s). It works in public loop and point-to-point topologies
with Brocade and Ancor SA-8 fabric switches. Both the Brocade && Ancor doing
aliasing, so the 2100 should work on fabrics as does the 2200. However, your
mileage may vary on that one.

FC-IP should be integrated in the next month os so.

The same driver also supports Ultra, Ultra2 and Ultra3 cards.
Target mode is supported, but not well shaken out in SPI.

I have not had the opportunity to try the EMC hardware to validate how well
this works or not. Typically, the problems often revolve around firmware
issues in the QLogic card that can't often be gotten around.

I have a sample LSI-Logic Fibre Channel card that I hope to have a driver in
FreeBSD for in a couple of months.

-matt