Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 18:13:50 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Munish Chopra" <messiah_man@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports update during make world and kernel ppp

Munish Chopra <messiah_man@hotmail.com> types:
> First off, the ports tree. When I cvsup the system and make world, will this
> update any installed ports too, or must I make uninstall, update the ports
> tree, and then make install the port?

Whether or not the ports tree is updated depends on your make.conf
file. If you set it up properly, the ports tree will be updated when
you "make update" in /usr/src. This will *not* update any of the
installed ports. If you want to update those, you'll need to make,
deinstall and the install the udpated versions.

pkg_version -c generates a script to do this udpate for you. You
*have* to edit the script before you can use it. You need to delete
the comment and exit at the top, check that things are being done in
the right order, and possibly comment out ports that need special
handling (active database servers, for instance). If you have
WRKDIRPREFIX pointed outside of /usr/ports and don't habitually make
clean, you'll want to "make clean" on all the ports as well.

> Second of all, I use ppp to connect to the net. In my kernel configuration
> file, should I enable ppp, or can I do without that if I'd rather run it in
> userland?

If you're running userland ppp, you don't need it in the kernel. You
do need tun, though.

> Finally, I tried building my first kernel on a 4.2-RELEASE box today. As I
> haven't CVSuped (dialup is expensive in Europe), I did the whole config,
> make depend, make thing. Now at make, output is something like this:
>
> # make
> linking kernel
> [bunch of files]: undefined reference to '[bunch of stuff]'
> *** Error Code 1
>
> There are a whole lot of those error lines.

Exact error messages would help, but you probably left out a device
that some device you included depends on. Typical things are the mii
device for some PCI ethernet cards, and some SCSI code for for USB
disks.

	<mike