Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 22:16:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tony Jones <tony@rtd.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problem with multihomed system (21040/21041 cards)

[please CC me on any replies -- thanks]

Is there any known problems with using 21040 and 21041 based ethernet
cards in the same system (de driver) ?

I have an old ASUS P/I-P55TP4XE Triton motherboard, that I recently
turned into a router/firewall.

System has always had the 21040, I recently added the 21041. With both
installed, neither would work. Both worked when installed individually.
Hardcoding the IRQ's in the BIOS to 10/11 allowed both to work together
(I noticed that de.c didn't list one of the IRQ's chosen by the bios
autoselection) but I'm wondering if I could still have a problem ....

At boottime I get:
	de0 <Digital 21040 Ethernet> rev 35 int a irq 10 on pci0:10:0
	de0: 21040 [10Mb/s] pass 2.3
	de0: address 00:c0:d1:30:a0:6f
	de1 <Digital 21041 Ethernet> rev 17 int a irq 11 on pci0:11:0
	de1: 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 1.1
	de1: address 00:c0:f0:15:1d:ed

de0 is now connected to my internal network (to a 10/100 dual mode hub)
and de1 is connected to a DSL modem.

After a day or so, de0 will always stop functioning. The link lights on
the hub and the back of the card show no signs of trouble. Power hasn't
been lost to either device.

If I have hardwired the media setting to "10baseT/UTP" ifconfig will show
"no carrier". If I leave the media setting as "auto", ifconfig looks fine,
but dmesg will show a log entry of "de0: autosense failed: cable problem?".

In either case, downing the interface (ifconfig de0 down) causes the
driver to display "de0: enabling 10baseT port" and the bringing the
interface up cures the problem.

Any tips from the wise ?

Thanks!

Tony