Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:28:14 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Fsck follies

On Monday, 22nd November 1999, Bernd Walter wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 02:57:39PM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
>> I think there is a fault in fsck.  Possibly it is because softupdates
>> changed the rules.  Having run md5 over the good copy and the broken
>> (power failure interrupted) copy as well as everything in lost+found,
>> I can say that no corrupted files survived, and everything in lost+found
>> was a good copy of some file or other.  So softupdates appears to be
>> doing the right thing.  But fsck didn't fix everything broken by the
>> power interruption.
>>
>Sometimes fsck tells you that it needs a rerun.
>See /usr/share/doc/smm/03.fsck/paper.ascii.gz for details about fsck.
>Are you shure that this was not the case?

It should print "PLEASE RERUN FSCK" in that case.  It did not do so.  It
looks like other messages like "FILE SYSTEM MARKED DIRTY" are likely in
this case.  It said "FILE SYSTEM MARKED CLEAN" that evening.

Eventually I'll get the time to do repeated powerdowns of my equipment to
try to reproduce this.  I hope you can see why I'm not rushing into this. :-)

Stephen.