Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:37:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Still going in circles on RELENG_4_5 -> RELENG_4_6

Greetings -

I am still trying to upgrade from RELENG_4_5 to RELENG_4_6 by means of
'cvsup'. I am still failing to build a usable 'ncurses' library. Has
anyone sorted this out? I suppose the problem might be in generating the
dependencies or needing a newer 'make', but it reports as a compiler error
in a file which identical with the version which compiles fine in
RELENG_4_5.

If I instead download the 4.6 CD images and make a CDROM, can I upgrade
while preserving my configuration information? (Naturally I know the
kernel would have some items I don't use, but I want to keep users, their
directories, network setup, etc.)

'Handbook' and 'Complete FreeBSD' pointers welcome for the smoothest
upgrade path.

TIA.

 - John Mills