Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 19:29:12 -0500
From:      James Snow <snow@teardrop.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0 -> 4.2-S broke my Ethernet card?

I've got an old laptop with a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 PCMCIA card in
it. This was working just dandy under 4.0. I just cvsup'd the box to
4.2-S and this card died. The machine reports the MAC address of the
card erroneously (aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa), complains of device timouts, and
corrupted NIC memory. It also reports the card as  being an NE1000 (8
bit) where previously it had been reported as an NE2000 (16 bit).

Swapped out the card to no avail. Though, oddly enough, booting off of
the 4.2 boot floppies would make it all the way through an FTP install
of 4.2. Once installed, it failed again as described above.

Has anyone had any similar problems?

I have verified that it's not an IRQ conflict, tested the card in
another machine and swapped out the card. It's not the PCMCIA slot or
controller as these both work fine when booted off the FreeBSD boot
floppies.

I can't think of anything else to try.

-James