Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 05:29:31 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New wrinkle on doscmd build failures.

cc -O -pipe -I. -I/usr/X11R6/include -DDISASSEMBLER   -I/usr/obj/elf/h/local/src
/tmp/usr/include  -o doscmd AsyncIO.o ParseBuffer.o bios.o callback.o cpu.o dos.
o cmos.o config.o cwd.o debug.o disktab.o doscmd.o ems.o emuint.o exe.o i386-pin
sn.o int.o int10.o int13.o int14.o int16.o int17.o int1a.o int2f.o intff.o mem.o
 mouse.o net.o port.o setver.o signal.o timer.o trace.o trap.o tty.o xms.o  -L/u
sr/X11R6/lib -lX11
tty.o: In function `video_setborder':
tty.o(.text+0x25f): undefined reference to `XSetWindowBackground'
tty.o: In function `setgc':
tty.o(.text+0x2f5): undefined reference to `XChangeGC'

root@kickme-> file /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1: FreeBSD/i386 compact demand paged shared library not stripped

Could it be that the folks compiling this are doing it with ELF X11
libs?  I think that it must be strongly considered as a possibility
that even people running full ELF systems will continue to have a.out
X11 libs on their systems for awhile afterwards (since you can still
RUN all the old stuff, there's less pressure to go rebuild/install it
if you're not building X things as a matter of course) and I wouldn't
want to watch the make world failures come back as a result.  I still
think that things which depend on X should either do so even more
selectively (an environment variable?) or not be in /usr/src.  We
got rid of xroach and xditview in /usr/src for exactly that reason. :-)

- Jordan