Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:11:22 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@snark.thyrsus.com>
Cc:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>, Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: branding

> If your "BSD advocates" couldn't meet those tests, that's their
> problem and not mine.  The Open Source site will stop looking like a
> Linux site when, and *only* when, FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD have
> substantial and persuasive real-world successes comparable to those of
> Linux to display.

So let me just clarify one thing then: You also rate such successes
ONLY by how much money they make, not by any records they set or
significant alliances they make, but purely by dollar value and only
by dollar value.  Correct?  And this dollar value must be at least
$1M/yr to rate consideration, also correct?

> Open Source Developer Day or anywhere else.  The only effect that will
> have is to make you sound like a whining, petulant loser -- and to
> reinforce the BSD crowd's already ripe reputation for cutting off its
> own nose to spite its face.

Boy, it sure sounds to me like you have a serious chip on your
shoulder where BSD is concerned.  Are you sure you're the best person
to be "point man" on the open source issue?  I can certainly say that
I've bent over backwards in my role as FREENIX chairman to include
*everyone*, from the most die-hard Linux advocate to members of the
OpenBSD team, and I don't think that any other approach would be
morally or logically justifiable.  I wish that Brian or I could make
you see that, but that's evidently a lost cause.

> successes and send it to me.  Take your best shot.  If it meets my
> criteria for what's persuasive to non-hackers, I'll edit for look and

It sounds like your criteria is purely monetary.  How am I to meet
such criteria without disclosing confidential sales figures and the
like, or are you willing to simply accept my word for it?

- Jordan