Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 22:16:41 +0100
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Graham Breach <graham@cyberc.demon.co.uk>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Writing PCI device driver - HELP!

On 1998-02-27 16:05 +0000, Graham Breach <graham@cyberc.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I've been thrown in at the deep end here - I have a Symbios IEEE 1394
> (Firewire) PCI card to get working and I don't know anything about writing
> device drivers.

I'm willing to review your probe/attach code
(the only parts that ought to know about PCI),
if you send me the sources ...

Just curious: Will this driver be available in
source form, when it is finished ?

> So far I've managed to hack together enough bits from looking at other PCI
> drivers to get the card probed, but now I'm stuck.

I'll answer your questions, just give me a day
or two during the week, since I can't check my
new mail each day ...

> Can anyone point me in the right direction (documentation, books, etc.)?

I have prepared slides (in German), which might
be easy to translate. I assume you got the PCI
standard documents, and you may want to get
"PCI System Architecture" from Mindshare Inc.
(Addison Wesley) as a good introduction into the
concepts of PCI.

Regards, STefan