Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:58:38 -0800
From:      Alex Obradovic <aobradovic@ballantyneinc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help with crafting enterprise FreeBSD solution

I am trying to make a proposal that would use FreeBSD servers instead
of Windows 2000 servers for a large corporation's web site.

What type of FreeBSD configuration would I need to make to handle the
following:

* Typical peak web visitors per day: 11,000
* Typical max simultaneous users around 3,000 performing
*transactions* at any time
* max web site load (non-transactional pages) of at least 50,000
simultaneous users hitting a group of just a few specific web pages
(that can be cached).

My Questions:
-How many FreeBSD web/application/database/firewall servers do I need
in order to handle this load
-Would there be a need for clustering/failover schemes? Is that
possible with FreeBSD?
-How would I implement Load Balancing? Would I need additional
hardware for this?
-Can a FreeBSD with ipfw successfully replace Cisco PIX firewalls?
-Finally, are there some good URL's that show FreeBSD load statistics
for some major sites such as yahoo.com?

Thanks!