Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 02:13:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Latitude, sound, OSS, help!

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Colin Eric Johnson wrote:

>Ok, so I've gotten most of the ``necessary'' portions of my laptop up and
>running. Right now I'm working on getting the Open Sound System software
>running to drive my soundchip.
>
>Here's what I've got
>
>Dell Latitude CPi
>FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE
>Crystal 4237B soundchip
>
>I'm running into difficulty figuring out what IRQ, DMA, I/O address to use
>for the poor dear. It doesn't show up in the BIOS, at least I can't find
>it and booting into NT doesn't seem to produce any useful information
>(other then the type of card) about the soundchip.
>
>Has anyone had any luck with this kind of setup?

	Yup. I have Dell Latitude CP with the same sound chip. I am also
using OSS. I am running 2.2.7-STABLE on my system. I tried pnp code and
sb code with no luck, but OSS works like a champ on my laptop (mp3,
cdcontrol, etc). Here is my devices.cfg - it should work on your laptop
also:

% cat devices.cfg
# Use soundconf to edit this file.
/SECUREAUDIO OFF
/IRQEXCLUDE 3 4
/DMAEXCLUDE 2
-gen4237 #Generic Crystal CS4237 based soundcard or motherboard (non PnP)
CS4232MPU ON P210
CS423X ON P530 I5 D1 d0
OPL3 ON P388

	Hope it works. Let me know if you need any other info.

-- Yan