Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:36:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Eric Brueggmann <brueggma@snoopie.yi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: df -h

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Eric Brueggmann wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> 	I'm experiencing some more df problems.  I just typed "df -h" for the
> second time in the past 2 days, and the machine rebooted.  No messages in the
> logs, nothing.

	That's really bad. Could you take a look at the instructions for
setting up kernel debugging in the handbook (dumpdev in /etc/rc.conf*,
etc.) and add the following to your kernel config:

# Add extra debugging information to the kernel
options         DIAGNOSTIC

# The INVARIANTS option is used in a number of source files to enable
# extra sanity checking of internal structures.
options         INVARIANTS
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT

# Kernel debugger
options         DDB

# Don't drop into DDB for a panic. Intended for unattended operation
# where you may want to drop to DDB from the console, but still want
# the machine to recover from a panic
options         DDB_UNATTENDED

The last option is only necessary if you are concerned about this
happening when you are not at the console. It would actually be better to
leave this out if you are going to have physical access to the machine.

	Assuming that you can actually get information out of DDB, please
send it to freebsd-stable@freebsd.org. I realize that this is a lot of
work for you, but really it's the only way we can get the data we need to
trace the problem. I alias df to 'df -h' on all my machines, running many
vintages of RELENG_4 and RELENG_5, and I've never seen this panic, which
is why I think the stack trace of a dead kernel is our only option here.

Doug
--
        "The dead cannot be seduced."
		- Kai, "Lexx"